Travel Insurance

The University provides travel insurance for employees traveling on official University business, as well as their spouses, domestic partners, and children traveling with them. Coverage is worldwide, 24 hours a day when traveling out-of-state or overseas. In addition to the typical coverages, this policy includes coverage for emergency medical evacuation, out-of-country medical expenses, loss of personal effects, and security extraction. The carrier, ACE USA, is highly rated and provides insurance products and services throughout the U.S. and around the world.


The new coverage is provided at no cost to University employees. To deliver the services and protections offered by this coverage to the thousands of its employees traveling around the world at any one time, the University needs accurate information about where its employees are. Therefore, the University requires all employees traveling out-of-state or overseas on University business to register their travel plans prior to departure. This includes librarian travel, whether to conferences or for other purposes, and whether funded by administrative, professional development, or other funds.

To register your travel, go to UCOP’s UC traveler insurance coverage and complete the online form. On the form under “Purpose of Trip,” you may check Other when you are traveling to a conference. To submit the form, just click “Save Changes” at the bottom. Then be sure to print or save a copy for your records.

When you register, you will obtain a Confirmation of Coverage card. The Card will facilitate the your ability to obtain services and you should carry it you return from your trip. Upon registration, you will also receive a list of telephone numbers for medical emergency care or travel assistance.

Coverage Benefits

  • Emergency Medical Evacuation – if you are injured or become ill and cannot be treated locally ACE will provide emergency transportation to the nearest hospital where you can be treated.
  • Out-of-Country Medical Expenses – if you are overseas and need to be treated because you are sick or injured, this coverage will pay your medical expenses minus a $50 deductible.
  • Security Extraction – if you are in a dangerous situation outside of your control, ACE will work to get you out of danger.
  • Travel Assistance Services – if you need to find a hospital, lose your passport, need temporary financial assistance, you can call ACE and they will help.
  • Loss of Personal Effects


If you have questions or require additional information about the travel insurance, you may contact the campus Risk Management office at 893-2860. See also BUS-74 from UCOP.